Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I forgot to tell you about the Auction

I participated in an auction for cancer. It was really great. I was invited as a vendor to participate in the "Relay for Life" Cancer Auction. I have never been to one and wasn't sure what it was all about. It is called a "Quarter Auction". I of course as a vendor pay a fee to help pay for the room that is rented. It wasn't a lot...$15.00. I invited my guest list and friends. I had 19 people go...WooHoo. Anyway there was about 17 vendors which are all home based businesses. They had a variety. The admission to get in was .25 cents. You got a paddle with a number on it and then a matching number that went into the "pot". You could bid on the auctions depending on their retail value. The system was up to $25 you bid one quarter, $25-$50 you bid two quarters, $50-$75 you bid three quarters and anything over $75 you bid four quarters. I had to take 6 things to be auctioned. Five of the things I got the money that came in for those items. All of the money from the 6th auction went for "Relay for Life". I also had to take an item for a Chinese Raffle. I then donated a couple of small handmade items for door prizes. Here is a picture of my auctions:

Boy did I bring home a lot of quarters. $113 to be exact. It paid for the stuff I took to auction. The best thing is I got my name out there to many other people. I also got rid of a few catalogs and hopefully it will bring some business my way.
We had a great time and a lot of my friends and customers want to go back. This even will start up again in January and be the second Tuesday of every month through June. I will participate as long as I can. It is a good cause and lots of fun. If you live in the Greater Cincinnati area and would like to attend email me and I will send you the information.
By the way our table won multiple of times. The way you win is the "auctioneer" holds up an item and give a descripton and tells you how many quarters it is to bid. The runner "ME" has a container to collect the quarters at my table. When you place your quarter in my container you hold up your paddle with your number on it. The "auntioneer" will call numbers until he calls one that has their paddle in the air and they win. If he calls your number and you didn't bid, you say No Bid and he goes on. What fun!!!!
That's about it from me today. I am working on my Christmas cards and will share them shortly. It is another cased idea, which I have been doing a lot lately, but I loved it.

2 comments:

abhall76 said...

That sounds really neat and fun Rita, and it went to support a great cause as well. Wish I had been there to see it.

Laurie Unger said...

This sounds like so much fun for such a worthy cause! I'll have to look into something like this in my area! TFS !