Sunday, February 6, 2011

Coloring with Copics


I just did a demo for about 65 ladies and I focused on the Copic Markers.  I love playing with these and just wanted to share some ideas on shading with them.  I have had so many people tell me they love them but don't know how to use them.  I have given my version of that here.  Remember it is just my version on how I color...by no means is there anything professional done here.  Above is the coloring sequence I did...you will see it up closer in the next pictures.

The Colors of Copics I used were:  Skin  E000, E00, E02...Hair Y21, YR21, YR24....Shirt RV10, RV21, 
Pants & Bow B41, B45...Leaves, Stems and Grass YG11, YG63.....Flower Centers Y17, YR31..... Peach Flower R20, R22.....Pink Flower RV02, RV06.....Purple Flower BV02, BV13.

THE FOLLOWING DEMONSTRATION IS FOR LEARNING ONLY.  WHEN I AM COLORING I DO ONE SEGMENT AT A TIME...MEANING I WILL DO ALL THE SKIN FIRST, THEN THE HAIR...SO ON AND SO ON.  I DON'T COLOR EACH VALUE COMPLETELY FOR EACH SEGMENT AND THEN GO BACK.  YOUR COLORS WILL BLEND A LOT EASIER THIS WAY!

Step 1

I stamp the image with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink.  I used my lightest colored markers and colored the image.  The colors above are listed lightest to darkest for each segment of the image I colored.

Step 2

I now picked up the second color and added shadows.  You can see in the image where I added the color.  My rule of thumb is...if the sun doesn't shine there it needs a shadow.  HINT:  If you are going to be adding a third color for shadowing, make sure you bring the second color down a little bit to add room for the third color to go over it without hiding it.

Step 3

I now added my third color which is the darkest color value.  You can also see in the picture above where the darker colors were added.  Not all segments had a third color on them.  Remember to be careful and leave some of your second color showing.

Step 4

For my last step; I pick up my lightest color value for each of the segments and color the image again blending the shadow colors.  I start on top of the shadow colors and work away from them.  It seems to blend better for me.  I may go over the segments a couple of times to get the blending the way I want it.

I hope you have enjoyed this and go away with some hints that will help you in your coloring. 

Happy Stamping and have a Blessed Day!

1 comment: